Sunday, September 15, 2013

#HandmadeHomemade2013 // Pastries

My husband, loves pop tarts. I'm not super crazy about them. But I made homemade pastries and I liked them! It's part of my #handmadehomemade2013 series (been slacking).

I purchased The Homemade Pantry and chose the pastries as my first recipe. Making homemade dough is always intimidating, but the recipe of pie dough that this book includes WORKS or I just followed the directions for the first time baking.

The two things I would add to the recipe is a bit more vinegar and water mixture when you're making the dough AND put a thin layer of jam or filling because it will ooze out!



The Dough:
2 sticks cold, unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups flour
2 t apple cider vinegar
1/2 t salt

Cut butter into 1/2 in squares - Combine with flour - Toss the mixture and place in freezer for 10 min
Combine 1/3 cup of water with the vinegar and salt - Let salt dissolve and place in freezer for 10 min
Take the flour out and blend on low speed - Wait for it to become crumbly then start pouring in the vinegar/water - Add more vinegar/water if the mixture seems dry
Turn dough on counter and roll out into pieces - Refrigerate for at least one hour (to 3 days)

The Pastry:
Preheat oven to 375 F - Roll out the first half of the dough - Cut into six smaller rectangles (I just made small rectangles until the dough ran out) - Place on cookie sheet - With a pastry brush, paint each rectangle with the beaten egg - Scoop 1 tbl of filling onto each rectangle - Cut six more rectangles to match the size of the first batch - Place on top of each pastry that has filling - Press a fork along the edges and brush egg mixture on the - Poke holes with the fork on the pastries - Bake for 5/10 minutes OR seal them and place them in the freezer.

I placed my pastries in the freezer in a air tight container after I wrapped each one separately. As far as filling options, be creative: Nutella, ricotta cheese, chorizo and veggies....

buy the book here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note....